As we get closer to the WWE Cruiserweight Classic (tonight) the excitement starts to get higher and higher. With 32 participants from all over the world competing in the 205 pound weight limit tournament, there’s seem to be some favorites going into the tournament. One of those favorites is Kota Ibushi from Japan.
Kota Ibushi started his career in the Japanese promotion DDT, and has wrestled in promotions such as Evolve, Ring of Honor, Chikara and in New Japan Pro Wrestling, where he’s spent most of his career. He is a 3 time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion, 2011 Best of the Super Juniors and 2015 New Japan Cup winner.
If you don’t know about Ibushi, here’s 5 matches to get you familiar with him before tonight’s Cruiserweight Classic on the WWE Network. These matches include some familiar faces such as Prince Devitt (now known as Finn Balor), El Generico (now known as Sami Zayn), and Shinsuke Nakamura (now signed with WWE).
5) NJPW Dominion 2011: vs. Prince Devitt
4) NJPW Dominion 2014: vs. Ricochet
3) DDT Budokan Peter Pan 2012: vs. Kenny Omega
2) CHIKARA King of Trios 2009: Night 2: vs. El Generico vs. Nick Jackson vs. Jigsaw
1) NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9: vs. Shinsuke Nakamura